
My mind has been reeling these last couple of days over so many new ideas I am attempting to make sense of, especially one challenging required reading, a chapter from N.K. Hayles How We Became Posthuman, EDC wants its for credit participants to discuss. I hope we MOOCers will be worthy of the opportunity to explore this topic and its implications for education. My friend-strangers have also been posting related articles and videos to that reading, so I can't stop thinking about these ideas. I'm trying to use the links they've shared to help me understand, but I do admit I've been feeling like I'm in over my head and know so little about so much. I will persevere because like I said I'm a learning nomad on a journey to understand, but hope I won't sound too ignorant in my observations. If anyone wants to be my teacher to help me make sense of this, I welcome being the student and discussion of any kind on these fascinating topics!
So, I've been trying to figure out what it means to be posthuman, and trying to wrap my brain around,(pun intended) this theory some scientists believe that we will be able to separate the mind from the body downloading it somehow into a machine, computer or other "material substrate" to achieve immortality. I found this fascinating video Can We Download Our Brains? by Dr. Michio Kaku on BigThink.com. Dr. Kaku believes immortality by downloading our brains onto a computer chip will not be achieved in our lifetime. As the professor explains "digitizing information is easy", but the architecture of the human brain is not like a computer's. "We are learning machines", but we do not think in binary code, making it impossible to download the nuances of our consciousness; the true essence of who we are as an individual being cannot be replicated...or can it?

Hayles explains in "Toward Embodied Virtuality", the first chapter of her book, published in 1999, that at first she thought this idea far fetched, but that these ideas have been floating around since the 1950s. Who knew? Hayles explains that scientists contend that "information can circulate unchanged among different "material substrates". I began thinking about all those cheesy sci-fi movies where two people switch consciousness and bodies because of some magical spell or curse, like in the Shaggy D.A. where poor Wilby transformed into a dog every time someone read an inscription on that cursed Borgia ring. Or, even better, Steven Martin's "The Man With Two Brains" the brain surgeon who cheats on his gold digging wife with a disembodied brain in a jar. Sing with me..."If you lika me, like I lika you..." anyway, you can watch here and here for the bawdier, funnier version of the implications of consciousness transplantation. Now, as dumb as my comparisons may sound...Hayles refers to Scotty from Star Trek...so I'm allowed I guess, we're used to stories about transferring our consciousness into someone or something else as myth, but not as a possible reality.

In 1999, Hayles writes of three different stories about our posthumanism. 1.) She says that "information has lost its body." 2.) The cyborg was created as a technological artifact and cultural icon post WWII. And, 3.) there has been a gradual transformation of the human to posthuman because of the influence of both of the above. Fourteen years later, how are we already behaving as posthumans? What are the spiritual, moral and ethical implications of our posthuman behavior? And, how do those of us who have fallen behind on the evolutionary path of posthumanism cope with all these posthuman possibilities, experiments and realities where the body is slowly becoming superfluous? How have we unknowingly begun to espouse these beliefs that identity is in the mind, and no longer needs a body? What are the implications for e-learning and digital cultures since this is our focus?
One of my friend-strangers, Angela, from Australia posted an article, “Virtually all of my friends are plastic” about a woman home bound by illness who transcends the issue of loneliness/isolation from her peers through her virtual connections. When she has to return to physical IRL (in real life) interactions, she finds them "weird".
Laurie, another friend-stranger from Virginia, wrote a blog post about how she feels she found her "people". Laurie eloquently describes that many of us MOOC participants have mentally connected, which made me think how it's possible many of us have clicked intellectually, but we've never even heard our voices, let alone heard/seen our body language, thought to account for up to 70% of our communication. How is it that mentally we've found intellectual soul mates although we have relied mostly on written asynchronous interactions? How have our digital actions helped us catch each others' drift? Hayles explains in her book that a posthuman "privileges information over material embodiment in a biological substrate." So, how have some of us friend-strangers who've been chatting it up, processing the information we've posted, metamorphosed from social butterflies, to posthumans addicted to disembodied connections?
In e-learning, how do we express body language in digital learning spaces, and the essence of our identities and personalities? To be honest, I like to be playful, and sarcastic, but I've been holding back my words/information for fear of how it may come across since this is a global space. I'm an introvert, yet with age, I've learned to be assertive and always prefer to lead rather than follow. I believe my digital actions have revealed a few of these personality traits. How do we/ will we use digital learning spaces to capture these types of nuances of being, our body language, our identity and personality? Does a lack of participation so far reveal something about participants who've joined but choose not to interact? (I doubt it since we do have accomplished and well known participants.) How is it possible to command attention through a disembodied self? How would we demarcate our digital authority with students if we needed to resolve a conflict among e-learners? How does one convey synchronously or asynchronously, without video, that "air of confidence", charisma, stage presence, that larger than life feel...essentially, how does one create identity and earn/show respect as a student and teacher online? To poorly paraphrase Hayles's posthuman definition, she states that the posthuman does not consider consciousness as part of the human identity. Consciousness is not the "whole show, but rather a minor sideshow". What does that mean exactly? Well, I think it means that online we can choose our own consciousness; we create our own state of being. A remix of "I think, therefore I am" becomes "I am, therefore I can think in any way I want depending on the type of digital space I occupy".
![]() |
| "On the Internet. nobody knows you're a dog" |
Let me introduce you to the real me:
![]() |
| Identity explored by Steve Martin in "Roxanne", "The Cyrano de Bergerac" retelling. |
Just kidding! :) I've been trying to capture the real "me" in digital bits scatted all over cyberspace, but how? If I were to die tomorrow, I would leave a digital footprint, but would my loved ones in this generation and many far removed, be able to have a perpetual connection with me through the digital impressions I've left behind? Sooner than later, according to Terasem Movement Foundation, they will be! Here's where my own posthumanist beliefs falter a bit. (I'll explain in a minute.)
![]() |
| Stelarc, posthuman artist |
One of the world's geniuses, Stephen Hawking, is a perfect example of the posthuman sustained by cybernetic mechanisms, and another of Hayles's definitions of the posthuman: "the being that can be seamlessly articulated with intelligent machines." Although Stephen Hawking's illness has debilitated his body, giving the appearance of weakness, his mind however, is strong, and he is able to articulate his essence, his genius, through infrared connection to the machine, his computer, which interprets his eye movements.
True to Hayles's definition of the posthuman, the technology used to help Stephen Hawking is "an amalgam, a collection of heterogeneous components, a material-informational entity whose boundaries undergo continuous construction and reconstruction" because as the author of the article "On Stephen Hawking, Vader and Being More Machine Than Human" explains he not only relies on the machines to keep his body alive, he relies on a collective of technicians, students, assistants, and nurses to help him be who he is.
Stephen Hawking's "entire body and even his entire identity have become the property of a collective human-machine network. He is what I call a distributed centered-subject: a brain in a vat, living through the world outside the vat- To understand, you had to understand the people and the machines without whom he would be unable to act and think; you had to understand the ways in which these entities augmented and amplified Hawking’s competencies." - Helene Mialet
![]() |
| Image from Huffington Post |

Returning to the implications of BINA48-like entities on education, experiments around the world are already being carried out to determine how these robots can help autistic students, students with behavior issues to study their responses, and students with learning disabilities. Bilge Mutlu is one of the leading researchers in developing socially assistive robots to help people learn, communicate and work. Check out this article "You, Robot" about BINA48, Terasem and how companies like Google, Microsoft and even Facebook are developing ways for all of us to download our mindfiles, and seek eternal life in cyberspace. Since BINA48 and I are practically neighbors, I am thinking about contacting her and asking her, not her caretakers, if she would like to participate in this MOOC. Imagine, the first AI and posthuman MOOC collaboration. Think about the unique ethnographic opportunity her participation could bring. I wonder if she'll agree. If she does, maybe I'll teach her to recite Walt Whitman's poem "I Sing the Body Electric", or sing Olivia Newton John's song "Let's Get Physical". Do you think she'd mind?




Hi Ary - I love how carefully you're considering what you're reading, and really enjoyed reading your post (though I don't have time today to do it justice, I will return to it on the weekend). I am really amused by all this 'post-human' posturing, and the invisibility of language.... I think the 'disembodied' mind has been with us since the invention and widespread use of any form of literacy, and that writers have forever sought 'immortality' - through publication :)
ReplyDeleteHi Emily,
DeleteThanks for reading, and I'll look forward to more of your thoughts. :)
Hi Ary,
ReplyDeleteI too will have a longer ponder on your post. Two things for now, "Man with Two Brains" is one of my all time favourites. And this is a good reading list, I just love the Thinking Ape's Critique of Trans Simianism. I also enjoy Ben Goertzel's writing
http://www.wfs.org/blogs/ben-goertzel/radical-futurism-for-newbies-brief-reading-list.
My brother in law looked at me as if I was crazy when I was talking about transhumanism while we were all that the beach last week, especially when I told him we were well on the way. He's a heart surgeon, gives people all sorts of artificial and mechanical devices to keep them alive!!!!! Angela
Hi Angela,
DeleteI'm a huge Steve Martin fan! Great minds think alike...lol. Have you ever read any of his fiction? Anyway, thanks for the reading list..looks fascinating. I'll check out the Thinking Ape first! :)
So, did you invite Bina48 yet?! That was a very thought provoking post. I think the rate of technology is so rapid we are still getting to grips with it. Only one generation ago none of this would have been possible, now look at what you can do when you switch on your computer. That's quite amazing, especially when basic interaction with a person face to face is the same as it's been for centuries. And dreams - does anyone yet know why and what these are? Who is the person who dreams, as compared to the person awake? I have made a note of the texts you mentioned - need to read more on this subject!
ReplyDeleteHi Chris,
DeleteI haven't called Bina48 yet, but I plan to. Thanks for reading and yes, there are so many unanswered questions...imagine what life will be like in a decade or more.
Ary thank you for an extraordinary post. So many threads to pick up on here... I feel like I haven't started to scratch the surface yet, and you have put it all out there in one terrific commentary.
ReplyDeleteI think the thing that is squirming away in my mind is this thing about `soul'. I can't begin contemplating post-humanism until we have a full working transferrable definition of `soul'. I've neglected my philosophical readings for some years, obviously I'm going to have to get back to them and make up my own mind about what this indefinable essence of being human is before I can accept that there may be a post-human world. AI, yes I can accept that, but `Soul' transferral.... Mind you I recollect my mother telling me that when my youngest sister was born (13 years after me), my mother found this tiny creature looking at her with a depth of soul in her eyes that my mother found quite disturbing. This was when my sister was less than 6 weeks old. And where will AI locate that particularly human interface between reason and instinct? When we make decisions that go against every bit of rationale and training? I think Dr. Who's alien characters are perhaps the closest portrayal of post-humanism in our fantasy worlds on the multi-media platforms.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment. I do appreciate you reading my lengthy post. I also remember feeling that way when I had both of my children. Looking into their eyes and feeling their soul. Even when they grow up, a mother can feel what her child feels, sense when they're in trouble or pain. My daughters always say I'm telepathic when it comes to them..."how did you know, mom?" I just do, I tell...Even with my students, I used to have this sixth sense. Some call if "teacher with-it-ness". I call it "teacher telepathy"...lol. Of course there are also mothers who don't have these feelings or connections with their children for whatever reason, and that's interesting to ponder as well. Where do these types of connections and feelings come from? How can they ever be replicated and transferred into a machine? I thought about all of this a lot because of my discovery of BINA 48, and wonder what our definition of life and humanity will be decades from now. I can't imagine that in our lifetime anyone will discover the essence of what it means to be human since maybe what makes us human is not knowing, and that quest for truth about who we are, and why we are here. Thanks again for reading.
Delete